Podcasts de história

McCormick, Cyrus - História

McCormick, Cyrus - História

Empresário-Inventor
(1809-1884)

Cyrus Hall McCormick nasceu em 15 de fevereiro de 1809, em Rockbridge County, Virginia. Embora tivesse pouca educação formal, foi fortemente influenciado por seu pai, que tentou, em vão, aperfeiçoar uma ceifeira mecânica. Em 1831, o filho conseguiu construir tal dispositivo.

No entanto, foi apenas em 1834 que obteve a patente, ao se deparar com a ameaça de inventores concorrentes. Compreensivelmente, McCormick manteve sua ceifeira fora do mercado por mais alguns anos, a fim de fazer melhorias no mecanismo; e mesmo quando o introduziu no mercado, concentrou a produção em apenas uma fábrica em Chicago.

Quando a patente finalmente expirou em 1848, ele se deparou novamente com muitos rivais. Mesmo assim, ele conseguiu melhorar e, em seguida, manter sua posição no mercado.

Viajando pelo mundo, ele promoveu e demonstrou vigorosamente seu produto. Uma exibição na exposição Crystal Palace em Londres (1851) provou ser especialmente útil para aumentar as vendas.

Além de seus muitos interesses comerciais em todo o país, ele era especialmente ativo no Partido Democrata em Illinois. Ele também se interessou muito pela igreja presbiteriana pelo resto de sua vida e fez muitas contribuições para ela. McCormick morreu em Chicago em 13 de maio de 1884.


Uma história muito breve da área selvagem de McCormick Tract

Tudo começou em 1778 quando Robert McCormick emigrou da Irlanda e se estabeleceu em Rockbridge Co. Virginia. Seu filho Cyrus Hall McCormick, aos 22 anos, estudou os registros de seu pai sobre ceifeiros fracassados ​​e, em 1831, ele demonstrou com sucesso seu ceifeiro para um pequeno grupo de fazendeiros e em 1834 recebeu sua primeira patente sobre o ceifeiro. Ele continuou trabalhando no projeto até que, em 1847, Cyrus mudou-se para Chicago e abriu uma fábrica de ceifeiras, que se tornou a The McCormick Company.

Esta fábrica principal teve muito sucesso, mas em 8 de outubro de 1871 queimou com o resto de Chicago. Cyrus assumiu a liderança na reconstrução da cidade e um ano depois abriu o centro de convenções McCormick Place para mostrar ao mundo que Chicago havia se recuperado do incêndio. Ele continuou a desenvolver a McCormick Co. até sua morte em 1884.

Cyrus Rice McCormick, o fundador do McCormick Tract nasceu em 16 de maio de 1859. Quando adolescente, Cyrus mudou seu nome do meio para Hall em homenagem ao pai. Aos 25 anos, enquanto estava em Princeton, ele assumiu a presidência da empresa de seu pai imediatamente após a morte de seu pai.

Nos últimos 25 anos de 1800, muitas empresas desenvolveram colheitadeiras e ceifeiras com muitos processos judiciais. Finalmente, em 1902, por sugestão de JP Morgan, os cinco maiores, John Deere Co., a Deering Co., a Milwaukee Harvester Co., Champion e a McCormick Co., uniram-se sob o nome de International Harvester Co. essa fusão foi realizada por um jovem e brilhante advogado, que representou a McCormick Co., Cyrus Bentley. Cyrus H. McCormick aos 36 anos tornou-se presidente, enquanto Charles Deering assumiu como presidente do conselho. Em 1918, Cyrus se tornou presidente do conselho, com seu irmão Harold como presidente.

Robert McCormick teve a ideia do ceifeiro,

Cyrus H McCormick desenvolveu a ideia em uma invenção comercializável e iniciou sua produção, e

Seu filho, Cyrus Hall McCormick, fundador do McCormick Tract, tornou-se o Industrialista.

Descoberta e formação do trato McCormick

A história do McCormick Tract começou em 1884. Este foi o ano em que o mais velho Cyrus morreu e seu filho Cyrus tornou-se presidente da McCormick Co. e fez sua primeira viagem para acampar. Enquanto estava em Princeton, McCormick conheceu um professor chamado Dr. William Gray, que era um ávido homem ao ar livre. Ele tinha um acampamento permanente em uma ilha em Bayfield Wi. e convidou muitas pessoas para serem seus hóspedes ao longo dos anos, incluindo os McCormicks, que se tornaram grandes amigos com ele.

O Dr. Gray costumava acampar em todos os Estados Unidos. Ele selecionava a área procurando em um mapa um lugar com duas ou três nascentes próximas, com riachos fluindo em direções opostas e muitos pequenos lagos. Essas áreas geralmente forneciam excelentes áreas de camping com caça abundante.

Um dia, em 1884, o Dr. Gary convidou Cyrus para acompanhá-lo em uma de suas viagens de acampamento. Antes de partir, ele se encontrou com a mãe de Cyrus e alguns de seus pertences pessoais foram enviados com antecedência para que Cyrus se sentisse em casa. Cyrus, o Dr. Gray e outro companheiro viajaram para o norte de trem para Champion, em seguida, com um guia indiano para o norte, por uma antiga trilha indígena ao longo do rio Peshekee. Quando chegaram ao acampamento à beira de um lago sem nome, Cyrus ficou surpreso ao ver uma grande tenda branca, camas com lençóis e uma variedade de seus próprios pertences pessoais.

Nos anos seguintes, Cyrus e seu advogado Cyrus Bentley começaram a frequentar essa área. Eles viriam e estabeleceriam um acampamento-base temporário em uma pequena ilha rochosa neste lago. Em uma dessas viagens, eles estavam sentados na ilha olhando para um penhasco rochoso alto e decidiram que deveria se chamar Fortaleza. Mais tarde, eles batizaram o lago em homenagem a esse penhasco, chamando-o de Lago Fortaleza.

No final dos anos 1800, Peter White, J.M. Longyear e outros executivos da comunidade de Marquette decidiram fundar um clube exclusivo nas Montanhas Huron. Eles o chamaram de Clube de Pesca e Tiro nas Montanhas Huron e promoveram a adesão em Detroit e Chicago. Cyrus Bentley foi abordado e decidiu se juntar em 1902. Durante as muitas viagens para Fortress Lake, Bentley, que era um caminhante ávido, pensou que seria ótimo construir uma trilha da Ilha Fortress Lake até o Huron Mountain Club. McCormick concordou e decidiu prosseguir com a compra da propriedade. Ele enviou um batedor, Edwin McLean, que avaliou a área e achou que ela poderia ser comprada por cerca de US $ 5 / acre. Sabendo que o preço da terra aumentaria se o vendedor soubesse da riqueza do Sr. McCormick, ele pediu a seu secretário, F. A. Stewert, que contatasse um corretor de terras em Marquette, W.E. Lewis, para atuar como seu agente imobiliário. Ao abordar os proprietários de terras, o Sr. Lewis foi cotado a um preço firme de US $ 10 / acre. Descobriu-se que o corretor de terras do proprietário, John M. Longyear, soube que o Sr. McCormick estava interessado em comprar o terreno e não em negociar com o Sr. Lewis. Portanto, ele havia elevado o preço da terra. McCormick foi forçado a informar ao Sr. Longyear que Lewis era seu agente e, em setembro de 1904, McCormick comprou 151,75 acres por US $ 3,16 / acre. Isso cobria a extremidade oeste do Lago Fortaleza e abrangia a ilha.

Ao longo dos 16 anos seguintes, 13 compras separadas estabeleceram a área em 2.933 acres. O primeiro edifício construído foi a cabana da biblioteca na ilha em 1904. A maioria dos outros edifícios da ilha datam de 1906 ou 1907. Nessa época, uma expansão ocorreu na margem do lago e foi bem desenvolvida na década de 1930.

A cabana do Sr. Bentley nas Montanhas Huron foi concluída em 1905. Naquele mesmo ano, a trilha do acampamento acidentado na Ilha Fortaleza até a Cabana Bentley no Lago Superior foi concluída.

O Lago Fortaleza tornou-se um lugar muito movimentado com cabines sendo construídas, equipes trabalhando no desenvolvimento de trilhas, incluindo calçadões ao longo das margens da Fortaleza e seu vizinho Lago Bulldog. Um dos trabalhos menos apreciados foi dragar o canal entre os lagos Fortaleza e Bulldog para que os barcos pudessem passar facilmente entre os dois. Quando o terreno foi comprado por McCormick, havia uma grande barragem de castores na extremidade leste do Lago Fortaleza, seguida por riachos de pântano e outras pequenas barragens de castores que levavam ao Lago Bulldog. A equipe de McCormick construiu o canal de 1.900 pés aqui entre 1908 e 1916. Eles o dragaram, em seguida, conduziram em postes e conectaram fios a esses postes. Os barcos podem ser puxados manualmente através deste canal. Os postes e acessórios de arame permanecem no canal até hoje.

Outra das muitas tarefas foi o desenvolvimento do sistema de trilhas ao redor dos lagos e da trilha Bentley do Lago Fortaleza até a cabana do Sr. Bentley no Lago Superior.

Em novembro de 1907, Cyrus McCormick decidiu batizar oficialmente o lago de White Deer Lake em homenagem a um veado albino que ele e outros convidados tinham visto com frequência.

Outubro de 1935 foi a última visita de Cyrus ao local. Ele morreu em 2 de junho de 1936, aos 77 anos. A propriedade do assentamento foi para um filho, Gordon McCormick, que iniciou um projeto de renovação de todos os edifícios. Isso continuou na década de 40. 1947 foi a última visita de Gordon ao assentamento. Ele morreu em 1967 e legou o acordo ao USDA.

Essas informações são retiradas exclusivamente das duas referências a seguir:

Superior Heartland A Backwoods History Vol. I Livro II de C. Fred Rydholm publicado em particular por C. Fred Rydholm, 221 Lakewood Lane, Marquette MI 49855, 1989.

Uma história do uso do acampamento White Deer Lake pela família McCormick, floresta experimental de McCormick, Baraga, condados de Marquette, Michigan. Enviado para: USDA Forest Service, Ottawa National Forest, Ironwood, Michigan, 49938. Enviado por: Mid-American Research Center, Loyola University, Chicago, Illinois, 60611. Investigador principal, Theodore J. Karamanski.

& quotMe agradeço a Tom Foye por me conceder espaço em seu belo site. Ele retratou muito bem a área do McCormick Tract. Se você quiser saber mais sobre a história deste lugar único, escrevi um livro sobre a origem, vida e morte de 1906 até sua aquisição pelo Serviço Florestal dos Estados Unidos em 1968. Meu pai, Ted Tonkin, era o superintendente da o acampamento White Deer Lake por 38 anos e como uma família, passamos os verões morando lá. & quot

Um trecho do livro da Sra. Cooley que descreve a vida no acampamento White Deer Lake.

“Desde o início do tempo gelado no final do outono, depois que o nível do lago foi reduzido para acomodar o esperado escoamento da primavera, um local a cerca de 200 'da costa, próximo à casa de barcos, foi mantido livre de neve. Esta área mede aproximadamente 100 pés quadrados. Perto do meio de janeiro, era a época do corte do gelo. Quando o gelo tinha acumulado até 20 "de espessura, blocos enormes foram cortados medindo 20" x 18 "x 20" e pesando aproximadamente 200 libras. Os homens usaram uma serra de gelo manual para cortar os pedaços e uma pinça de gelo para retirá-los da água. Estes foram carregados em um pequeno trenó e puxados para a casa de gelo localizada a cerca de 500 pés da costa, na extremidade sul do prédio da Kitchen. Se as condições permitissem, o trator era empregado para puxar o trenó por uma colina curta, mas íngreme. Caso contrário, os homens teriam que fazer isso usando um guincho manual. Um bloco e uma talha içaram os pedaços para dentro da casa de gelo. Uma vez no lugar, esses blocos foram empilhados em meio a pilhas de serragem. Em um bom inverno, até 300 blocos (ou cerca de 26-30 toneladas de gelo) seriam armazenados para uso nas caixas de gelo durante o ano seguinte. & Quot

Reproduzido aqui com permissão de Kathleen Cooley. Obrigado por escrever seu excelente livro, Kathleen!


Cyrus McCormick (1809-1884)

Eficiência Agrícola . Nas primeiras décadas do século XIX, a quantidade de área que uma família poderia cultivar dependia frequentemente de quantas pessoas eles poderiam colocar nos campos. Como resultado, a maioria dos agricultores que produziam para o mercado enfrentava contínua escassez de mão de obra, especialmente na época da colheita, mas isso mudaria em breve. Novas máquinas reduziram o tempo necessário para a colheita de grãos aproximadamente pela metade entre 1800 e 1840, e pela metade novamente em 1880. A produção agrícola e a eficiência aumentaram rapidamente, um desenvolvimento crucial para a economia do Ocidente.

John Deere Plows . Arados de ferro e aço logo substituíram os de madeira. Em 1837, John Deere construiu seu primeiro arado de ferro com fio de aço. Ele fabricava anualmente mil arados em meados da década de 1840 e dez mil por ano na década seguinte. Esses novos arados permitiram ao colono cortar quilômetros e quilômetros de pradarias resistentes do meio-oeste, mas mesmo os arados da Deere não conseguiram superar o problema de encontrar mão-de-obra suficiente na época da colheita. Os fazendeiros que cultivam pequenos grãos, como o trigo, ainda precisam de trabalhadores para colher foices, foices ou implementos manuais maiores chamados berços.

Reapers McCormick . Cyrus Hall McCormick nasceu na Virgínia em 1809 e seu pai, Robert, também era um funileiro. As primeiras ceifeiras mecânicas surgiram na Inglaterra por volta de 1800, e inventores na Europa e nos Estados Unidos continuaram a explorar novas possibilidades. Robert McCormick fez experiências com uma ceifeira e deu a seu filho, Cyrus, em 1831. Depois de fazer melhorias, o jovem McCormick patenteou sua nova ceifeira em 1834. Embora Cyrus McCormick tenha deixado o negócio de máquinas agrícolas por alguns anos, sua ceifeira, que viria veio para transformar a agricultura na Trans Appalachian West, chegou ao mercado em 1840. Entre sua própria oficina na Virgínia e alguns empreiteiros em Cincinnati, Ohio, McCormick produziu 150 ceifeiras em 1845. McCormick percebeu que uma fábrica no meio-oeste poderia aumentar significativamente as vendas , então em 1847 ele e um sócio construíram uma fábrica em Chicago. Eles fabricaram 500 ceifeiras mecânicas lá em 1848.

Concorrentes . É importante perceber que Cyrus McCormick não foi o único inventor da nova ceifeira. Na verdade, Obed Hussey patenteou sua primeira ceifeira um ano antes de McCormick e permaneceu como seu principal competidor por anos. Havia outros concorrentes também, tornando as patentes de McCormick & # x2019 difíceis de proteger. McCormick recorreu repetidamente ao tribunal para proteger uma variedade de patentes. Apesar desses obstáculos legais, em 1850 McCormick havia produzido mais de 1.600 ceifeiras e conquistou 50% do mercado americano. Durante a década de 1850, enquanto o número de ceifeiras que ele produzia aumentava como resultado da demanda contínua, sua participação no mercado diminuiu. Em 1865, McCormick possuía apenas 5% do mercado de ceifeiras. Na verdade, novos concorrentes estavam inventando e produzindo máquinas melhores com mais rapidez. Mesmo assim, a McCormick Harvesting Machine Company continuou a competir na última metade do século XIX. Quando Cyrus morreu em 1884, seu filho Cyrus Jr. assumiu o negócio. Em 1902, os McCormicks e outros grandes produtores de ceifeiras mecânicas se fundiram para criar uma empresa gigante conhecida como International Harvester.

Vendas externas . O sucesso de Cyrus McCormick & # x2019 dependeu de vários fatores. Como um dos primeiros inventores, ele deu um salto no mercado e conseguiu obter patentes cruciais. O astuto McCormick também empregou métodos engenhosos para comercializar seus ceifeiros. Logo no início, McCormick viajou para o campo para ver suas máquinas trabalhando durante a temporada de colheita. Mais tarde, seus agentes e mecânicos ajudaram a consertar as ceifeiras no campo. McCormick desenvolveu uma garantia para suas máquinas e as vendeu a crédito. Assim como a concorrência, ele também comercializava suas ceifeiras em sociedades agrícolas e feiras. Em 1851, McCormick viajou pela Europa para fazer testes com seu ceifeiro. Ele teve tanto sucesso que usou seu elogio europeu para publicidade em seu país. Logo seus concorrentes foram para o exterior para promover suas próprias máquinas.

McCormick e # x2019 s Legacy . Vastas mudanças na agricultura ocidental seguiram o desenvolvimento da ceifeira McCormick e outras novas máquinas. Uma vez que o número de acres que um fazendeiro pode colher aumentou dramaticamente, as fazendas no Ocidente tornaram-se cada vez maiores. Como acontece com todas as mudanças tecnológicas, alguns americanos foram prejudicados por esses desenvolvimentos. As famílias de agricultores mais pobres muitas vezes descobriram que não podiam competir com os agricultores comerciais mais ricos. A menor dependência de mãos humanas empurrou muitos trabalhadores agrícolas para as fábricas urbanas do país. As consequências ecológicas eventualmente incluíram a erosão do solo e a transformação das pradarias americanas em áreas de relativamente pouca biodiversidade. Antes de 1860, essas preocupações ainda não eram aparentes para muitos americanos, e a nação, em vez disso, celebrou o surgimento da agricultura em grande escala aparentemente eficiente.


Cyryus Hall McCormick (1809-1884)

Virginia Childhood. Cyrus Hall McCormick nasceu em uma estrita família de fazendeiros presbiterianos no Vale Shenandoah, no oeste da Virgínia, em 15 de fevereiro de 1809. O avô de Cyrus mudou-se da Pensilvânia para Rockbridge Country durante a Revolução Americana (na qual ele lutou) e lá se estabeleceu a propriedade que permaneceu na família McCormick até o século XX. O pai de Cyrus, Robert, se considerava uma espécie de inventor e havia projetado, entre outras coisas, um descascador de trevos, um fole para ferreiros e até uma máquina de leitura. Cyrus, que cresceu trabalhando na fazenda da família e frequentando uma escola rural quando o tempo permitia, deve ter contraído o vírus mecânico de seu pai. Quando ele tinha vinte e dois anos, ele tinha uma patente dos EUA em seu crédito para um arado de encosta. Mas Cyrus usou suas próprias ideias quando se tratou de projetar e construir sua primeira ceifeira em 1831.

Mercado Lucrativo. Quando McCormick (com a ajuda dos escravos de seu pai) empurrou sua nova engenhoca desajeitada para o campo de aveia de John Steele & # x2019 para um campo, teste, não foi o primeiro dos anos 1820 que Patrick Bell da Escócia construiu uma máquina de colheita tanto quanto dez acres por dia, várias vezes o que o homem poderia fazer manualmente. Com suas pequenas fazendas e ampla mão de obra barata, no entanto, os fazendeiros britânicos tinham pouco interesse em dispositivos de colheita mecânica, como a ceifeira Bell & # x2019. Na América, por outro lado, a situação se inverteu. A vasta extensão de terras aráveis ​​e a oferta relativamente escassa de trabalhadores exigiam a adoção de dispositivos que economizassem trabalho. O trigo, em particular, tinha que ser colhido no momento certo, antes que seus grãos amadurecessem demais e derramassem sua carga preciosa no solo, e como o trigo de todos em uma determinada região atingiu a maturidade quase ao mesmo tempo, os agricultores quem não consegue encontrar mão de obra suficiente durante o período crucial pode perder toda a colheita. Uma máquina barata que pudesse cortar grãos com segurança e rapidez no campo tinha o potencial de entrar em um mercado lucrativo.

Primeiros concorrentes. Depois que a primeira ceifeira de Cyrus tropeçou em seis acres de aveia Steele & # x2019, e então sobreviveu a outro grande julgamento público em 1832 (depois de várias melhorias mecânicas), McCormick começou a engrossar sua máquina com potencial para ganhar dinheiro. Ele continuou a melhorar seu projeto original ao longo da década de 1830, mas outros empreendimentos familiares absorveram seu tempo, e ele fez pouco em termos de marketing ou fabricação de sua máquina até que Obediah Hussey, de Ohio, começou a construir e vender uma ceifeira própria no meio da década. Cada homem havia chegado ao seu destino independentemente (Hussey patenteou sua ceifeira em 1833, um ano antes de McCormick receber sua patente), mas a ceifeira de Hussey & # x2019 operava sob princípios semelhantes aos de McCormick & # x2019 s, que se tornaram uma fonte de atrito e rivalidade entre os dois homens. Um teste de campo frente a frente em 1843 das duas máquinas provou ser inaceitável, mas a competição (bem como a dívida acumulada de outra empresa familiar) levou Cyrus a começar a produzir e vender suas máquinas a sério. Usando a oficina de ferreiro da família e a ajuda de seu pai e irmãos, McCormick construiu e vendeu 29 ceifeiras em 1843 e cinquenta em 1844. McCormick percebeu, no entanto, que poderia vender apenas alguns dos ceifeiros caros ($ 100 a $ 150) para os fazendeiros das colinas de Shenandoah, com seus campos pequenos e rochosos e solos desgastados.

Move West. Em 1844, McCormick vendeu vários ceifeiros para fazendeiros nas ricas terras do Vale do Ohio e no final daquele ano foi pessoalmente para o oeste para ver se suas máquinas estavam devidamente montadas. Visitando as vastas fazendas de pradaria recentemente colonizadas de Illionis, Wisconsin e Missouri, McCormick observou uma situação feita sob medida para seu ceifeiro, e em 1847 ele e sua família se mudaram para a promissora cidade de Chicago. Em um ano, a ferrovia e o telégrafo chegaram à cidade e a Chjicago e ao centro de embarque de todo o oeste. McCormick esteve no epicentro dessa transição, armado com uma invenção idealmente adequada para a colheita da pradaria.

Inovações. McCormick vendeu 450 ceifeiras de sua fábrica em Chicago em 1848, e mais de 1.000 em 1850, mas seu sucesso estava garantido. Suas patentes expiraram em 1848, abrindo o campo para vertiginosos concorrentes, alguns com designs superiores aos do próprio McCormick. Além disso, os fazendeiros hesitavam em gastar mais de US $ 100 em uma máquina que desconheciam. McCVormick adotou algumas das melhorias de seus rivais & # x2019, como assentos para o piloto e raker, uma barra de corte melhor e, eventualmente, encadernadores automáticos, e manteve seus preços baixos por meio de reduções de custo em sua fábrica. Ele era um competidor agressivo e muito litigioso. Mas a verdadeira inovação de McCormick veio com seus esquemas de marketing. Os agentes de McCormick demonstraram seu ceifeiro em feiras agrícolas em todo o meio-oeste, jogando as máquinas contra as de outras empresas em competições que atraíram grandes multidões. Ele escreveu seus próprios anúncios extokllll as virtudes de seu & # x201C Virginia Reaper & # x201D (muitas vezes com depoimentos de agricultores) ao mesmo tempo ilustrando como era fácil e lucrativo usar seu dispositivo. Ele organizou um sistema de agentes de vendas que vendiam ceifeiras por comissão, mas também eram responsáveis ​​por consertar as máquinas e instruir os fazendeiros sobre sua operação. Finalmente, ele ofereceu suas ceifeiras em um plano de crédito parcelado, permitindo que um fazendeiro fizesse um pagamento inicial na primavera, usasse a máquina para fazer a colheita e pagasse o restante do custo até dezembro. Auxiliado pela rápida expansão da rede ferroviária e um forte aumento no preço do trigo, McCormick vendeu mais de quatro mil ceifeiras por ano em meados da década de 1850, e vendeu um total de 8 mil em 1860. Em 1851, o ceifeiro ganhou o cobiçado Medalha do Conselho na Exposição do London Crystal Palace McCormick aproveitou o momento oportuno para iniciar uma rede de vendas no exterior.

Últimos anos. Por sua própria admissão, McCormick vivia para seu negócio de ceifeiros. & # x201C Eu tenho um propósito na vida, & # x201D ele disse, & # x201C o sucesso e uso generalizado de minhas máquinas. Todos os outros assuntos são para mim insignificantes demais para serem considerados. & # x201D McCormick não danava nem fumava e não se casou até a meia-idade, embora ele e sua esposa ainda conseguissem ter sete filhos, um dos quais, Cyrus Jr., assumiu a empresa. Ele contribuiu pesadamente para o Partido Democrata, atuou no comitê nacional do partido e concorreu (sem sucesso) várias vezes, uma para vice-presidente. Um dos primeiros magnatas industriais da América & # x2019, McCormick investiu em ferrovias, minas e outros empreendimentos comerciais, tornando-se diretor do conselho da gigante Union Pacific Railway. Presbiteriano estrito por toda a vida, McCormick também doou grandes somas de dinheiro para a igreja e para o Seminário Teológico Presbiteriano de Chicago (chamado de Seminário Teológico McCormick até 1928). Apesar de todas essas atividades, entretanto, a McCormick Harvesting Machine Company (incorporada em 1879 e combinada com outras empresas para formar a International Harvester em 1902) permaneceu como a instituição central em sua vida. Ele continuou a servir como presidente da empresa, supervisionando melhorias na fabricação e design da ceifeira McCormick, até sua morte em 1884.


História do empreendedorismo de Chicago: os irmãos McCormick e a ascensão dos megacorpos

O assunto dos irmãos McCormick e seu desenvolvimento do “Virginia Reaper” e do que mais tarde se tornou o conglomerado de Chicago, International Harvester, trazem à tona inúmeras ironias e consequências não intencionais na história americana. Aqui estão apenas alguns: Os proprietários de escravos do sul elevam os estados do norte, por meio da produção de grãos excedentes e da criação de mão-de-obra excedente, a uma vantagem industrial e de mão de obra decisiva na Guerra Civil. Em grande parte graças à invenção de McCormicks, por exemplo, o Norte exportou 200 milhões de alqueires de grãos para a Europa durante a Guerra Civil, aliviando o trabalho de todos os produtores de grãos e endireitando suas costas curvadas, os virginianos bem-intencionados aceleram a urbanização e industrialização de seu país . Essas forças destroem, por sua vez, seu amado modo de vida agrário jeffersoniano e transformam os fazendeiros em uma raça estranha e em extinção.

OS IRMÃOS McCORMICK, VISIONÁRIOS DE NEGÓCIOS

Em suas vidas, Cyrus, William e Leander McCormick não fizeram nada menos do que revolucionar a agricultura e definir uma indústria inteiramente nova. Eles acabaram com séculos de colheita manual de grãos - com foice, foice e berço. Ao fazer isso, eles se tornaram milionários, os gigantes reconhecidos do novo negócio de máquinas agrícolas e um nome familiar em todo o mundo. Mas por que foram os irmãos McCormick que satisfizeram a necessidade de longa data de máquinas que economizavam mão de obra na fazenda? Quem substituiu o músculo animal pelo músculo humano? Distinguir os McCormicks de seus rivais e concorrentes, e colocá-los na vanguarda da mudança, foi sua fluência nas linguagens de invenção, marketing e organização, uma rara combinação de dons. Como poucos fizeram, eles levaram com sucesso a invenção de seu pai, a primeira ceifeira mecânica prática, para o mercado. Para fazer isso, eles tiveram que criar métodos novos e originais de venda, publicidade e distribuição de seus produtos. Não havia ninguém para imitar. Eles seriam os empresários que outros imitariam, um modelo de fato para a futura indústria automobilística.

O gênio empreendedor dos McCormicks se revelou de várias maneiras inter-relacionadas. Vamos chamá-lo de “Sistema McCormick”. A cultura deles era uma nova cultura empresarial, uma expressão da engenhosidade sulista, em vez da mais proclamada engenhosidade ianque encontrada em William Deering e John Deere. As novas técnicas dos McCormicks derrubaram a tradição de "caveat emptor" e substituíram a confiança, a responsabilidade, o reconhecimento da marca e a boa vontade do cliente. Para ampliar o mercado de sua máquina, os irmãos introduziram alguns dispositivos engenhosos. Um incentivo poderoso foi o chamado “teste gratuito”, uma garantia por escrito em todas as vendas, uma garantia de devolução do dinheiro de um reembolso total se o produto tiver um desempenho insatisfatório. Um incentivo relacionado foi seu "plano de compra a prazo". Em 1849, eles venderam sua ceifeira de $ 120 para os agricultores nos seguintes termos: $ 30 de desconto na entrega antes da colheita e os $ 90 restantes, mais 6% de juros, até 1 de dezembro. (Todos os custos de envio e frete, a propósito, foram por conta do comprador .) Obviamente, os irmãos estavam dispostos a assumir riscos financeiros grandes e sem precedentes para comercializar seu produto.

Mas não foi nem perto da aposta que se poderia pensar. Eles parecem ter considerado grandes contas a receber em seus cálculos de preço e lucro. De 1849 a 1858, as contas vencidas e não pagas aumentaram para mais de US $ 400.000, potencialmente desastroso se eles não tivessem lucrado cerca de 150% por ceifeiro.9 Além disso, eles padronizaram sua margem de lucro robusta estabelecendo um preço que era divulgado, fixo e não negociável. Não deveria haver pechinchas nem barganhas com o cliente, nem descontos especiais. Todos pagaram o mesmo preço.

Outra inovação dos McCormicks foi o "teste de campo", uma peça especialmente eficaz de publicidade e promoção na América rural. Os irmãos organizaram concursos públicos, gratuitos para os espectadores, por fabricantes de ceifeiras rivais. Na verdade, eles investiram pesadamente em publicidade de todas as formas e até publicaram uma revista especializada divulgada por sua rede de agentes que conquistou um grande número de leitores entre os agricultores. Eles entraram em várias feiras e exposições estaduais para demonstrar "Old Reliable". Os prêmios e prêmios que ganharam, em casa e no exterior, ajudaram a tornar “McCormick” uma marca universal muito antes de a marca ser uma mania corporativa. Essa popularidade permitiu aos McCormicks cobrar mais por suas máquinas, bem como pagar comissões menores a seus agentes.

Nos primeiros anos, os McCormicks criaram uma rede de agentes treinados ligados a eles por contratos e territórios exclusivos. Eles encomendaram, receberam, entregaram e consertaram as ceifeiras que fizeram. Mais tarde, na década de 1880, os agentes regionais que trabalhavam por comissão foram substituídos por gerentes assalariados que supervisionavam os concessionários franqueados. A organização era de primeira linha.

Os nativos do condado de Rockbridge, na Virgínia, também sabiam como adaptar as ideias e invenções de outras pessoas para obter vantagens comerciais. Claramente, sua invenção estimulou a invenção de máquinas agrícolas mais sofisticadas por aqueles com maior inventividade do que eles possuíam. Com todas as melhorias tecnológicas subsequentes, eles mantiveram o ritmo tenazmente: Auto-Rake Reaper de Atkins, os irmãos Marsh, Harvester Withington’s Wire Self-Binder e Deering’s Twine Self-Binder. Eles também eram inventores e tomadores de empréstimos. Bill Gates poderia ser a reencarnação dos irmãos McCormick. As semelhanças em suas respectivas estratégias e táticas são impressionantes.

Como o biógrafo de Cyrus Hall McCormick William T. Hutchinson apontou, de forma bastante persuasiva, "seus dias como um inventor terminaram com sua patente de 1847." Depois disso, eles astutamente compraram patentes, direitos de patentes e licenças de terceiros, pagando royalties quando necessário, enquanto seus advogados especialistas lutavam nos tribunais em intermináveis ​​“guerras de patentes” com seus rivais. Seus anos no negócio foram inundados por litígios. Eles foram destemidos.

A decisão mais inspirada dos McCormicks, que foi tomada em 1847, foi mover o centro de suas operações para o oeste, de Shenandoah Valley para Chicago. Eles perceberam que o futuro do ceifeiro estava nas Grandes Planícies e na fronteira oeste. Ao chegar lá primeiro, eles “abocanharam” uma grande fatia do mercado interno. Isso também foi uma grande aposta, pois Chicago estava, então, muito longe do centro ferroviário que mais tarde se tornou. Seu ceifeiro precedeu a ferrovia em Chicago por três anos. Na verdade, eles estabeleceram suas instalações de produção em Chicago ANTES do telégrafo, dos canais e das ferrovias chegarem àquela cidade de 17.000 habitantes. Os McCormicks apostaram no seu futuro e ganharam na loteria. O crescimento de sua empresa e o crescimento de Chicago se entrelaçaram pelo resto do século e além. Os irmãos McCormick emergiram como os primeiros grandes industriais de Chicago, os empresários que possuíam sua maior fábrica.

A mudança dos McCormicks para o “mercado da pradaria” encerrou a era da subprodução descentralizada, caracterizada em um grau preocupante por supervisão inadequada, falta de confiabilidade e controle de qualidade deficiente em lugares como Brockport, Nova York e Cincinnati. Com a centralização da produção em supervisão constante de Chicago, melhorias nos processos de fabricação e economias de escala começaram. Visto que as inovações dos McCormicks em marketing e vendas resolveram muitos dos problemas mais difíceis na distribuição em massa da ceifeira, em como penetrar no mercado nacional de agricultores, sua primeira fábrica em Chicago estava livre para atacar o problema da produção em grande escala escala. Com a integração da produção em massa à distribuição em massa, a megacorp estreou-se no setor de máquinas agrícolas. E a estrada para a International Harvester foi iluminada pela primeira vez.

A PRIMEIRA FÁBRICA DE CHICAGO DE McCORMICK, 1848 - 1871

Between 1848 and 1871 the McCormick brothers regularly enlarged and improved their Chicago plant, which was designed with ready access to water and rail transportation. Comprised of both wood-working and iron-working departments, as well as a paint shop, and with docks on the Chicago River for receiving raw materials and shipping finished products, it was built to control costs. At first, some parts of the 1,200 pound reaper were manufactured elsewhere: sickles in Massachusetts guard fingers in New Jersey iron castings on the other side of Chicago. Raw materials arrived from all over the country and the world white ash lumber from Michigan pig iron from Pittsburgh and Scotland steel from England. But the story of the next half-century was one of integration, of lowering costs by eliminating more and more outside suppliers and middlemen. By 1870, the McCormicks were producing 10,000 machines annually at the Chicago factory.

CONTINGENCY IN AMERICAN BUSINESS HISTORY
1871 MARKED AN IMPORTANT TURNING POINT IN THE HISTORY OF THE McCORMICK COMPANY.

The Great Chicago Fire of that year proved both a terrible misfortune, as the original factory complex burned to the ground with great financial loss, and a perverse twist of good luck. Contingency is a powerful force in the life of an institution. Without “The Fire,” one can readily imagine a different fate for the McCormick brothers, Cyrus and Leander, brother William having died in 1865. Led by Leander, they relocated and rebuilt in a visionary fashion, with allowances made for prodigious future growth, the McCormicks obtained additional advantages over their competitors through the most up-to-date equipment, greater economies of scale, and wholesale efficiencies.

Thereafter, at the vast 230-acre “McCormick City,” which employed 1,400 workers in 1884 and whose main factory building was ten times the size of its predecessor, the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company, which replaced the old partnership, C.H. & L.J. McCormick, in 1879, operated furnaces and foundries, produced its own iron, ran sawmills and the largest twine mill in the world, and even manufactured its own bolts and nuts. The company also purchased mines and forests to assure steady supplies for its furnaces and sawmills. In time, virtually every part of the McCormick harvesting machines would be made at this complex.12 “McCormick City” anticipated Henry Ford’s industrial colossus at the River Rouge by twenty-five years. What was needed to transform “McCormick City” into the River Rouge was another technological breakthrough, the moving assembly line.

“McCormick City” liberated supply. Production doubled between 1870 and 1880. Between 1880 and 1884, when Cyrus McCormick died and his son Cyrus, Jr. took over management of the company, output nearly trebled. By 1891, annual output approached four times its 1880 figure.

THE CREATION OF INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER

America’s very first outbreak of “merger mania” occurred between 1898 and 1902. Over that span 212 major consolidations took place in American industry. One of those mergers involved the McCormick Harvesting Machinery Company. In 1902, it combined with its chief competitor, William Deering & Co. and three smaller rivals, to create the megacorp, International Harvester. With assets of $110 million, and control of 85% of U. S. production of harvesting machines, IH was “a virtual monopoly.” By 1909, it was the fourth largest corporation in America, as well as the largest farm equipment company in the world. The corporate behemoth rested securely on foundations put firmly in place by the McCormick brothers. In recognition of their central role in the creation of International Harvester, the remaining McCormick heirs received 43% of the new company’s stock. And Cyrus, Jr., was chosen its first President.

According to Alfred Chandler, the dean of business historians, the initiative for the merger came from U. S. Steel and the Morgan bankers who dominated that corporate giant. Elbert Gary, head of U. S. Steel, feared that both the McCormick and Deering firms intended to build their own steel rolling mills, depriving him thereby of lucrative contracts and valuable customers. Gary’s efforts coincided with a readiness on the parts
of William Deering and Cyrus McCormick, Jr. to halt, once and for all, the fierce, cutthroat competition that troubled their industry.

Today, the once great conglomerate, International Harvester, is no longer extant—having been undermined by the competitors, such as John Deere, in the early 1980s. By the end of it’s life, the company produced a variety of products but focused primarily on farming equipment, small and heavy-duty trucks, and construction equipment, a massive organization which worked well in good times, but prevented the company from innovating during times of economic strain. International Harvester was split up into three separate companies, Navistar, Case IH (Fiat), McCormick Tractors, and Cub Cadet. Despite the break-up, the legacy of the McCormicks and of International Harvester lives on in the immense philanthropic gifts, most of which can be seen on the walls of the great Chicago and Virginia institutions, as well as countless McCormick-International Harvester aficionados across the country, who still consider McCormick the first name in farming.

1Robert Hall McCormick, had nine slaves. On the eve of the Civil War Cyrus owned “three or four” slaves, property which he hired out to his Walnut Grove neighbors while he lived in Chicago. See William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Seedtime, 1809 – 1856 (New York, 1930), 17 William T. Hutchinson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: Harvest, 1856 – 1884 (New York, 1935), 38. Hereafter, cited as Vol. I and Vol. II.
2Herbert N. Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick: His Life and Work (Chicago, 1909), 192.
3AlLeander made “long annual visits” to the Shenandoah Valley of his youth and Cyrus was elected in 1880 as the first president of the Virginia Society of Chicago. Hutchinson, Vol. II, 37 (fn. 1).
6Chapter Two, “A Legacy in the Heartland,” in Barbara Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy: The Agony of International Harvester Company (New York, 1985), 15 – 34, and Chapter Three, “Cyrus McCormick,” in Harold C. Livesay, American Made: Men Who Shaped the American Economy (Boston, 1979), shed abundant light on McCormick’s business innovations. Alfred D. Chandler’s The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business (Cambridge, MA., 1977), 305 – 7, 402 – 3, 406 – 11, details McCormick’s role in the “managerial revolution” that swept American industry in the late nineteenth century.
7Richard S. Tedlow, Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires They Built (New York, 2001), 1. McCormick did qualify for inclusion in Daniel Gross, Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time (New York, 1966). See “Cyrus McCormick’s Reaper and the Industrialization of Farming,” 22 – 38.
8Casson, Cyrus Hall McCormick, 80.
7
9Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 23 Hutchinson, Vol. I, 249.
10James Wallace and Jim Erickson, Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire (New York, 1992), 117, 135, 269, 342, 352, 381, 390.
11Hutchinson, Vol. II, 360. 12Casson is especially informative about the development of “McCormick City.” 13Chandler, The Visible Hand, 306 – 7. 14Marsh, A Corporate Tragedy, 4, 41 – 2 Chandler, The Visible Hand, 408 – 9.


Death of Cyrus McCormick

Inventor and businessman Cyrus McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in Chicago, Illinois.

Cyrus Hall McCormick was born on February 15, 1809, in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. He was the oldest of eight children born to inventor Robert McCormick, Jr. Around the same time Cyrus was born, his father began working on a design for a mechanical reaper. He spent 28 years working on the design but never managed to make it right. So Cyrus went on to take up the project himself.

McCormick worked with Jo Anderson on the design. While some machines were designed to be pushed by horses, McCormick worked on a machine that would be pulled by horses and cut the grain on one side of the team. In 1831, McCormick held one of the first demonstrations of his new machine. He said he had developed the finalized version in 18 months. McCormick was then granted the patent for his reaper on June 21, 1834.

US #891 - Capa Clássica do Primeiro Dia.

During this time, McCormick and his family also had a blacksmith and metal smelting business, which nearly went bankrupt during the Panic of 1837. McCormick began holding more demonstrations of his machine, but most local farmers thought it was unreliable. McCormick continued to improve on his original design and eventually began to sell more – seven in 1842, then 29 in 1843, and 50 in 1844. The following year, he got another patent for the improvements made to the reaper.

US #891 – Rubber Stamp Cachet First Day Cover.

Up until this point, the machines were all built in the family farm shop. But McCormick soon realized that he was receiving orders for reapers from out west, where the farms were larger and flatter. McCormick then contracted to have his machines mass-produced at a factory in New York. In 1847, he and his brother opened their own factory in Chicago. The business prospered after that, aided by railroads that could help deliver the machines and replacement parts much quicker than ever before.

Item #81883 – Commemorative cover marking McCormick’s 179th birthday.

In 1851, McCormick took his reaper to the Crystal Palace Exhibition in London. His reaper successfully harvested a field while the Hussey machine (Obed Hussey who had a competing patent claim) failed. McCormick then won a gold medal and was admitted to the Legion of Honor, but also found out he had lost a court challenge of Hussey’s patent. By 1856, McCormick’s factory was producing over 4,000 reapers per year. Then in 1871, the factory burned down during the Great Chicago Fire, but he rebuilt it and reopened in 1873.

US #982 was issued for the 200th anniversary of Washington and Lee University.

McCormick was a devout Presbyterian all his life and committed much of his time and money to helping others. He helped create the Theological Seminary of the Northwest (later named the McCormick Theological Seminary) and donated $10,000 to help start the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). McCormick and his wife also donated money to Tusculum College and helped create churches and Sunday Schools in the South after the Civil War. During the last 20 years of his life, McCormick was a benefactor and served on the board of trustees for Washington and Lee University.

After suffering a stroke in 1880, McCormick died on May 13, 1884, in his home in Chicago. He received many honors during and after his life – the French named him an Officer of the Legion of Honor and he was elected to the French Academy of Sciences for “having done more for the cause of agriculture than any other living man.” Many credit McCormick’s reaper with reducing human labor on farms, increasing productivity, and being a driving force in the industrialization of agriculture in dozens of nations.


McCormick County History

Hunters, traders and drovers coming into the area that is now McCormick County in the early 1700s discovered an unspoiled, enchanting, wilderness paradise. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

The hills were forested with short-leaf pines and oaks, interspersed with cedars, persimmons, cherries, and locusts. Along the streams grew walnuts, cottonwoods, birches, hickories, and maples. Chestnuts, oaks, and poplars along the streams often grew to exceed seventy feet or more in height. The crystal-clear streams teemed with catfish, perch, bass, bream, and shad. Beavers, raccoons, otters, and muskrats trailed their banks. The soil was deemed ordinary when canes grew no higher than a man’s head but fertile when the canes attained a height of twenty or thirty feet. The land was the Native American hunter’s bonanza. It thronged with turkey, ducks, quail, geese, eagles, hawks, owls, songbirds, and wild animals – rabbits, squirrels, opossums, foxes, bobcats, wolves, and cougars. Buffalo, deer, and black bear abounded. The shaggy buffalo would later lend its name to locales like Buffalo Creek, Little Buffalo Creek, and Buffalo Baptist Church in the county. A hunter from Ninety-Six reported counting more than a hundred buffaloes grazing on a single acre near Long Cane Creek. Herds of deer numbering sixty and seventy roamed the natural habitat. A Cherokee hunter often killed two hundred deer in a year. In a good year tribesmen sold more than two hundred thousand deerskins to traders from Charles Town. In a single autumn, a hunter could kill enough black bear to salt down three thousand pounds of meat. The virgin soil of the hills was dark red clay, rich and porous along the streams it was deep, dark and fertile sandy loam. The whole countryside was an adorned savanna as far as the eye could see – carpeted with wildflowers of every hue, canes, wild-pea, and native grasses in profusion, and trees spaced so far apart that deer and buffalo could be seen from afar.

John Stevens maintained cow-pens near the crossing of the Cherokee Path, over Stevens Creek in 1715. The Cherokees called the Cherokee Path, “Suwali-Nana”. Stevens’ cow-pens lended the name for the creek. Likewise, cow-pens located on Cuffeytown Creek led to the creation of a trading post, probably called “Cuffey Town”, that was situated on the east side of the stream just above the bridge on U. S. Route 378, near Longmires, presently the Hollingsworth home. In 1756, George Bussey took up a 900-acre tract of land on Horn’s Creek below Stevens Creek. In the same year John Scott, formerly of Cuffeytown Creek, moved to Stevens Creek, where five years later he was made a justice of the peace. The Stevens Creek settlement was a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek encompassing lower present-day McCormick County.

The 1747 treaty set the new Indian boundary at Long Cane Creek. It clearly stipulated that there would be no settling north of the boundary. The immediate effect of the treaty was to open land for settling along the Indian path.

Scots-Irish Arrive in the Long Canes

After General Edward Braddock’s defeat in 1755 during the French and Indian War, the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania were exposed to great danger from the French at Fort Duquesne on the Ohio River, and their Indians allies. Bands of warring Indians ravaged the frontiers populated mostly by Scots-Irish. Settlers evacuated the countryside. To escape the atrocities, five Scots-Irish families made their way down the Great Wagon Road from Virginia to the Waxhaws. The Calhouns – four brothers James, Ezekiel, William and Patrick, their sister Mary, widow of John Noble, and their mother Catherine. At the Waxhaws, they were induced by a band of hunters to visit the Long Canes in the Ninety-Six District. The hunters gave a glowing description of the Long Canes. The Calhouns arrived in the Long Canes (present-day McCormick County) in February 1756. They settled at a site on the east side of Long Cane Creek, where they built a palisade fort called Fort Long Canes. The site was less than a mile from present-day Long Cane A.R.P. Church, and two miles west of Troy. Before the end of the year the Calhouns crossed Long Cane Creek and relocated a few miles to the north to the Flatwoods on Little River (near present-day Mt. Carmel). The Flatwoods was located in Cherokee hunting lands. Their nearest neighbors were Robert Gouedy, a Scots-Irish Indian trader at Ninety-Six, and Andrew Williamson, a Scot cattle drover on Hard Labor Creek. The Calhouns assured the provincial government that they had secured permission of the Cherokees to settle there. How true it was cannot be ascertained. However, according the 1747 treaty the land was not legally open for settlement.

The Calhouns quickly petitioned for land grants and received hundreds of acres in the Flatwoods on Little River. Patrick Calhoun secured a deputation as land surveyor. Surveying these tracts began the near monopoly of land surveying that he held for seven years. They cleared land, planted crops and accumulated poultry, cattle, hogs, horses, and mules. These five pioneer families opened the way for development of the Long Canes. From the beginning the Calhouns were people of substance. Other Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers followed the Calhouns down the Great Wagon Road from the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Many of them were relatives and former neighbors of the Calhouns. Most, like the Calhouns, had originally settled in the backwoods of Pennsylvania, and had moved on into Virginia when settling became crowded. By 1759 the number of families had increased to twenty or thirty. Among those who located in Long Canes early were the Arthur Patton family, and the families Alexander, Anderson, Houston, Norris, and Pickens. “Squire” Patrick Calhoun, the family patriarch, was appointed a justice of the peace and became a prosperous farmer and the undisputed leader of the Calhoun Settlement in the Long Canes. In 1769, Calhoun was seated, albeit not without great effort, as a representative for Prince William Parish as the region’s first representative in the Royal Assembly in Charles Town. In 1775, he was elected from Ninety-Six District to the First Provincial Congress. William Calhoun was also commissioned a justice of the peace. He built a store on his place and carried on a lively trade with his white neighbors and with Cherokee Indians. The Indians brought deerskins, bear and beaver hides, ginseng, and other herbs, which they traded for guns and powder, farm tools and implements, household items, cloth and ribbons.

The Huguenots

The Huguenots were French Calvinists or French Reformed Protestants. Like the Scottish Presbyterians, they were followers of John Calvin, French religious reformer. The New Bordeaux colony was settled primarily by two separate groups: the first in 1764 under the leadership of Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, the second by fate in 1768. Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, Pastor Jean Louis Gibert, condemned to death by the French government seven years earlier for his Calvinist preaching, organized the migration for the New Bordeaux colony from his London base. British King George III’s interest in financing the Huguenot settlement was for bringing about quick settlement of the South Carolina back country following the Cherokee War of 1760. His Commissioners designated a location in the thinly settled back country, the strategy being to create a buffer to protect the Charleston tidewater area against Indian uprisings.

The sailing vessel slid out of the harbor, and headed northward toward the English Channel and Plymouth, England, on August 9, 1763. The Friendship dropped anchor in Charles Town, South Carolina on the 12th of April 1764. The town of New Bordeaux was planned and built in the design typical of a French village on Little River. Log homes were built on half-acre lots in neat rows along narrow streets. Once situated, the Huguenots immediately adopted a local governmental council consisting of five members – the justice of peace, the minister, and the three officers of the village militia. North of the village were the family, four-acre vineyard lots stretching along gentle slopes toward the river. On these mini-farms the Huguenots developed olive groves and grape vineyards. On the same lots they cultivated garden crops such as maize (Indian corn), potatoes, beans, and cabbage.

Four years later, contrary winds caused another group of colonists to join the already established settlement at New Bordeaux. Jean Louis Dumesnil de St. Pierre, a French Huguenot refugee living in London, conceived a plan to establish a colony in North America to cultivate a wine and silk industry on a commercial scale. He petitioned King George III for land to settle upon on. The British monarch approved the scheme and promised St. Pierre a land grant of 40,000 acres on Cape Sable Island near Halifax in Nova Scotia. After more than three years of preparation and anticipation, St. Pierre and his French and German protestant colonists boarded the St. Peter in London harbor for a perilous voyage bound for Cape Sable Island in Nova Scotia. They departed on September 26, 1767. When not long at sea, the St. Peter began to encounter choppy waters. Increasingly brisk winds began to lash the vessel in this record-breaking early winter season. As the weeks passed into months, gale after gale brought the fury of rain and hail and bitter-cold, winter winds. Ten of the colonists who died of scurvy in-route were forever entombed in frigid watery graves. By the first day of January 1768, the St. Peter was situated, “at latitude 41° north,” according to St. Pierre’s journal, which described the ship as “being very leaky and the Colonists reduced to three pounds of bread for nine days and very sick of the scurvy, they did oblige (him) to bear and put into the harbour of Charles Town.” The helmsman steered the brigantine carrying the colonists toward Charles Town, South Carolina. Better weather prevailed. Nearly six weeks later, the St. Peter limped into the seaport on February 10, 1768. In Charles Town, Lord Charles Montagu encouraged St. Pierre to settle his Protestant colonists in the South Carolina back country with the French Huguenots at New Bordeaux. Huguenot Parkway at Sheridan.

The German Palatines

Johann Heinrich Christian, Sieur de Stumpel was a German of high position. For several months he enlisted Germans who turned over everything of value to de Stumpel’s agent – homes, land, and personal property. A good portion of the colonists were from the area called the German Palatinate – the entire group has usually been referred to as “Palatines.” The riverboats arrived. De Stumpel’s plan was set into motion. The boats slid along the Rhine River picking up German emigrants who had assembled at numerous points. The voyagers were conveyed down the Rhine to the seaport of Rotterdam in the Netherlands. At Rotterdam the excited Germans boarded ships. The ships set sail upon the open sea. There was great jubilation among the passengers as they lost sight of land. They expected to touch port briefly in England where Sieur de Stumpel would be waiting to pay for passage and to make the final arrangements for their settlement in Nova Scotia, and then to put to sea for the journey to the Americas. Finally, after a year of soulful deliberation, apprehension, preparation, and severance from the land of their birth, these bold-spirited German colonists were on the way – Auf dem Weg zum Schlaraffenland! (On the way to the “wonderland!”) So they thought! When the ships docked in London in late August everything went out of whack. Sieur de Stumpel was nowhere to be found, and there was no sign of any agent who might be working for him. The shipmasters were enraged. They demanded passage money. The refugees had none. The Germans were mercilessly thrown off the ships, and their baggage was confiscated. They had no food, no money, no clothes, and no way of communicating with the English-speaking people gawking at them. And they had no leader in their group. They were totally destitute! Finally, leaving the wharf, the bedraggled refugees struggled past the warehouses and into a road that led them to Whitechapel Fields where they sat down along the common. That night a cold rain drenched them. For two days they had no food. Their luck changed a little when an English baker saw them and brought them loaves of bread. After several days without food, except for the loaves, word of their destitution reached the Reverend Gustav Anthon Wachsel, pastor of the new German Lutheran church in London called St. George’s. The church had been built by the pastor’s uncle, a rich German named Beckmann, for the many Germans working in sugar refineries of the neighborhood. The pastor caused the state of their wretched plight to be published in a London newspaper, and immediately went to the aid of the refugees. His parish quickly mobilized and began relief work. The military raised tents to reduce their exposure to the weather. By this time there had already been deaths among the emigrants. As a result of the newspaper coverage, Lord Halifax directed an appeal to the King to intervene and to settle the German Palatines in America. Sieur de Stumpel never showed up. Nor did his agent. After several weeks, the refugees were told that they would be settled in South Carolina. London’s Gentlemen’s Magazine for Tuesday, September 13, 1764, wrote, “In compliance with a petition for that purpose, his Majesty has been graciously pleased to order, that the Palatines now so liberally provided for shall be sent to, and established in Carolina, for which purpose 150 stand of arms have been already delivered out for their use and contracts were made for their immediate transportation.”

Six weeks later vessels with German refugees aboard lifted anchor, and set sail from London, bound for Charles Town, South Carolina. Ihre Reise war wiederum im Fortschritt! (Their journey was under way once again.) The Dragon, commanded by Francis Hammot dropped anchor on the night of December 13, 1764. After nine weeks at sea the voyage was over.

As instructed, Patrick Calhoun built the large community house near Hard Labor Creek. It served as a “center” until the settlers could get settled on their individual tracts of land. In February 1765, the rest of the German colonists arrived in Charles Town aboard Captain Lonley’s Planter’s Adventure. The Lieutenant Governor intended to settle the Germans very near the French Huguenots of New Bordeaux, and the Scots-Irish of the Long Canes. But, upon learning of the still present threat of Indian raids, the German Palatines chose to settle several miles southeasterly. A township containing some 25,000 acres was laid out, and named Londonborough in honor of their London benefactors. The German colonists selected lands in the vicinity of Hard Labor Creek, Cuffeytown Creek, Horsepen Creek, Sleepy Creek, Rocky Creek, Mountain Creek, and Turkey Creek.

afro-americanos entered the county early. About 1755, John Scott, a Scots-Irish trader with at least five African slaves, took up a tract of land. His son Samuel Scott established a ferry on Savannah River near the present-day town of Clarks Hill. Other settlers, including George Bussey, brought slaves with them, and located in that same valley that came to be known as Stevens Creek settlement – a fifteen-mile circle nearly surrounded on the south and west by Savannah River and Turkey Creek.

At about the same time, John Chevis, a free black carpenter from Virginia, with a wife, nine children, and a foundling infant, was granted a tract of land on Little River, five miles above its junction with Long Cane Creek. It appears that Chevis had initially come into the Stevens Creek settlement.

By the beginning of the American Revolution there were African slaves in Stevens Creek, the Long Canes and New Bordeaux settlements, and other areas of present day McCormick County. In 1790, one fourth of the white families owned slaves.

The Long Cane Indian Massacre

February 1, 1760, was a cold, winter day in the Calhoun settlement at Long Canes in present-day McCormick County. During the morning, the settlers received the alarm of an impending attack planned by Indian warriors from the Lower Towns and the Middle Towns of the Cherokee Nation. Risking her life, Cateechee, a Cherokee maiden, rode some seventy miles on horseback from her Keowee home in the Lower Towns to warn settlers. The daring dash by Cateechee probably saved the Long Canes settlement from total annihilation.

The settlers of Long Canes hastily began preparations to flee some sixty miles south to Tobler’s Fort at Beech Island in New Windsor Township, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia. Within hours of the warning a first group of over a hundred persons left the Long Canes and would reach Tobler’s Fort unmolested. Shortly thereafter the rest of the settlers moved out in a wagon train of about 150 persons. Travel was hampered due to the ground being soggy wet from recent rainy weather. After traveling a few miles, they reached Long Cane Creek where they experienced great difficulty in crossing the creek and climbing the hill on the east side. By that time, it was late and the decision was made to make camp for the night.

Meanwhile, a Cherokee war party of about a hundred Indian braves, reportedly led by Chief Big Sawny and Chief Sunaratehee, arrived at the Long Canes settlement and found it abandoned. They pursued the trail of the settlers for a while and decided to cease pursuit. At the moment, they were about to turn around, they faintly heard shouts of the fleeing settlers as they probably were making the creek crossing. The war party quickly resumed pursuit, crossed the creek at another site and went into hiding. When at their most defenseless moment, the Indians attacked. The campsite was at once a scene of total pandemonium. In the wild confusion only a few of the fifty-five to sixty fighting men could lay hand on their guns. Women and children scrambled for any available cover and became separated. Casualties among the settlers mounted very quickly. The men were able to hold off the attacking Indians for no more than a half-hour. Realizing the futility of further resistance, the surviving settlers, aided by then night, assembled as best they could and fled on horses, leaving behind the wagons containing all their earthly possessions. In the short half-hour, the Long Canes settlers suffered fifty-six killed and a number taken captive. The Cherokee raiding party sustained twenty-one killed and a number wounded. Among the killed was Chief Sunaratehee. 2 mi. west of Troy, Sec. Rd. 36, Rd. 341.

The Battle of Long Canes was fought by Patriot militia against British and Loyalist forces on the east side of the creek December 12, 1780 during the Revolutionary War. 2 mi. west of Troy on Sec. Rd. 36

Viena, the first commercial center in present-day McCormick County, is now a ghost town under the waters of Lake Thurmond. Located five miles southeast of present-day Mt. Carmel, Vienna was one of three thriving sister cities that developed on Savannah River in the late 1700s. Opposite on the Georgia side in the fork between Savannah and Broad rivers was Petersburg, and on the south side of Broad River and Savannah fork was Lisbon, both in then Wilkes County. The location of the three towns where two rivers met was a great advantage in water transportation. Yet the trade centers needed land transportation for bringing in the products of plantations, especially tobacco and cotton to be shipped and for travel. The towns were made accessible for wheeled conveyances, and became the location where land travel from western South Carolina and from the north and east of upper Georgia crossed. An integrated stage line from Milledgeville, Georgia to Washington, D. C., ran through Petersburg and Vienna as did a United States mail route. Flat boats called Petersburg Boats carried loads of tobacco, cotton, and flour down river to Augusta. Two ferries provided constant service across the River. Westward migration brought a drastic decline in the prosperity of Vienna and her sister cities Petersburg and Lisbon by the early 1820s. The town government of the dying town was abandoned in 1831. 5 mi. southwest of Mt Carmel, at end of Sec. Rd. 91, under water.

John de la Howe, (1710–1797) a French physician, came to South Carolina ca. 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux French Huguenot community. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after de la Howe’s death in 1797.

Initially restricted to twenty-four boys and girls from what was then Abbeville County, with preference given to orphans, the school emphasized manual training, or instruction in operating a self-sufficient farm. In 1918, the school was turned over the State of South Carolina, opened to children from every county in the state, and renamed John de la Howe School. It is now a group child care agency. On Route 81, 2 mi. southwest of Route 28.

The quest for gold occupies a unique chapter in the annals of American history. It occupies a special place in the history of the Town of McCormick. The zealous quest for the precious metal influenced two men to the extent that it induced the spawning of the settlement and then town that became McCormick. In spite of their mutual interest the two men probably never met. The first was William Burkhalter Dorn’s unrelenting search for and discovery of gold. Dorn’s discovery of the mother lode at Peak Hill in 1852 insured the Dorn Mine a top spot in nineteenth century gold mining in South Carolina. Dorn made extensive investments in real property in the area and was an outstanding philanthropist. As a result of Dorn’s Mine a small settlement called Dorn’s Gold Mines sprang up around the mines. A post office by that name was established in 1857. Cyrus Hall McCormick’s investment in and ultimate purchase of the Dorn Mine from Billy Dorn, and his influence in the acquisition of a railroad terminal at the site clinched the permanence of the Town of McCormick. McCormick’s interest in securing a railroad connection to the Augusta and Greenwood Railroad was an attempt to boost the success of his gold and manganese mines.

Interest in the Dorn Mine was greatly increased because of the participation of the great nineteenth century industrialist Cyrus McCormick. The man who single-handedly changed the face of American agriculture would not experience similar success through his investment in the Dorn Mine, but he will be remembered for adding an engaging chapter to the saga of the mines, and for ensuring the future of the Town of McCormick. Cyrus Hall McCormick, born February 15, 1809, on the family farm Walnut Grove, in Rockbridge County, Virginia, was of Scots-Irish ancestry. At the age of twenty-two, McCormick devised the invention which would change his life and dramatically increase the efficiency of the American farmer. In 1831, and in only six weeks to develop the world’s first successful reaping machine. In all the centuries prior to 1831, there had been invented but two new agricultural implements for harvesting: the scythe (sixteenth century) and the cradle (eighteenth century). From that beginning in 1831, he rose to national prominence. Envisioning Chicago as the future railroad hub and gateway to the expanding West, he chose the Windy City as the site of his factory in 1847. Within two years, he repaid his creditors, and McCormick and Company (later known as International Harvester) was a sensational success.


História

The roots of International Harvester can be traced back to the 1830s, when Cyrus Hall McCormick, an inventor from Virginia, finalized his version of a horse-drawn reaper. The reaper was demonstrated in tests in 1831 and was patented by Cyrus in 1834. Together with his brother, McCormick moved to Chicago in 1847 and started the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company. The McCormick reaper sold well, partially as a result of savvy and innovative business practices. Their products came onto the market just as the development of railroads offered wide distribution to distant market areas. He developed marketing and sales techniques, developing a vast network of trained salesmen able to demonstrate operation of the machines in the field.

McCormick died in Chicago, with his company passing on to his son, Cyrus McCormick, Jr. In 1902, the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company and Deering Harvester Company, along with three smaller agricultural equipment firms (Milwaukee Plano and Warder, Bushnell, and Glessner (manufacturers of Champion brand)) merged together to create the International Harvester Company (IHC).

o McCormick-Deering tractors were renamed to just McCormick, which continued in Europe. In the USA, the tractors were later renamed International.

International Harvester sold off the Ag division in 1985 and later renamed the company. The Agricultural devision being bought by Tenneco, parent to J.I.Case, thus combining them to form Case IH tractor division and Case CE division for construction plant.

Case IH then decided to merge with Fiat's New Holland subsidiary to form CNH. This lead to the competition authorities in several countries ruling that for the merger to proceed they had to sell some production capacity in certain markets. The result was the Versatile factories in in Canada building high horse power machines were sold as the Steiger brand was retained. And in Europe the former International Harvester factory at Doncaster was sold along with some of the Case IH models built there and re branded as McCormick Tractors International Ltd owned by ARGO SpA of Italy, parent company of Landini.


Business Success

McCormick produced more of the machines, and at first, he only sold them to local farmers. But as word of the machine's amazing functionality spread, he began selling more. He ultimately started a factory in Chicago. The McCormick Reaper revolutionized agriculture, making it possible to harvest large areas of grain much faster than could have been done by men wielding scythes.

Because farmers could harvest more, they could plant more. So McCormick's invention of the reaper made the possibility of food shortages, or even famine, less likely.

It was said that before McCormick's machinery changed farming forever, families would have to struggle to cut enough grain during the fall to last them until the next harvest. One farmer, highly skilled at swinging at scythe, might only be able to harvest two acres of grain in a day.

With a reaper, one man with a horse could harvest large fields in a day. It was thus possible to have much larger farms, with hundreds or even thousands of acres.

The earliest horse-drawn reapers made by McCormick cut the grain, which fell onto a platform so it could be raked up by a man walking alongside the machine. Later models consistently added practical features, and McCormick's farm machinery business grew steadily. By the end of the 19th century, McCormick reapers did not just cut wheat, they could also thresh it and put it into sacks, ready for storage or shipment.

At the Great Exhibition of 1851 in London, McCormick exhibited his latest model. The American machine was the source of much curiosity. McCormick's reaper, during a competition held at an English farm in July 1851, outperformed a British-made reaper. When the McCormick reaper was returned to the Crystal Palace, the site of the Great Exhibition, word had spread. In the crowds attending the exhibition, the machine from America became a must-see attraction.

In the 1850s McCormick's business grew as Chicago became the center of the railroads in the Midwest, and his machinery could be shipped to all parts of the country. The spread of the reapers meant that American grain production also increased.

It has been noted that McCormick's farming machines may have had an impact on the Civil War, as they were more common in the North. And that meant farmhands going off to war had less impact on grain production. In the South, where hand tools were more common, the loss of farm hands to the military had much more impact.

In the years following the Civil War the company founded by McCormick continued to grow. When workers at McCormick's factory struck in 1886, events surrounding the strike led to the Haymarket Riot, a watershed event in American labor history.

List of site sources >>>


Assista o vídeo: John Deere. Cyrus McCormick (Janeiro 2022).